Friday, April 27, 2007

With apologies to fellow Ohio University alum, Arsenio Hall, things that make you go hmmmmm...

The Reds bullpen is in shambles. Like every year from here to back of memory, there is no one in that pen that Jerry Narron can count on consistently, to give him a top notch performance every night. So why then, did the Reds used today to give Todd Coffey a nice raise and sign him through next season?

Is the baseball world not full of Todd Coffeys?

Look, Coffey is another guy I really like. He got that easy going Texan approach to life and can, on occasion, be an effective reliever. His schtick of running in from the bullpen is charming. But Coffey has done nothing so far this season to make anyone believe that he's approaching consistency. Nor, has Coffey done anything to stake claim to the Reds closer role, something he had last year and lost.

It's another confounding move by Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, who I also like a lot. I like a lot of people, so sue me. Krivsky can knock it out of the park with some moves (Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Hamilton). But sometimes, I wonder...

Everywhere I went today, people asked me...who are the Bengals going to take in the draft. If I knew, I'd make a bet and retire. I have only a guess. And my guess is, they will take Darrelle Revis, the cornerback from Pitt, who is dropping in a lot of mock drafts. Revis can return kicks as well as play stout 'man' coverge. That's my guy, and I'm sticking to him.

Check back....and check out my web site, www.kenbroo.com. I've got my latest Broo View podcast posted, as well as the hottest sports talk show in cyber space, Broo v. Broo.