Friday, May 11, 2007

The Bengals are filling in the blanks. That's what you have to do when you spend a second round draft pick on a player who's really a luxury, and you need help on defense.

Ed Hartwell, a linebacker, Blue Adams a cornerback and Kendrick Allen, a tackle, all signed free agent deals with the Bengals this week. Be still my beating heart.

While the Patriots load up on established super stars and mortgage the future to win now, the Bengals are bargain hunting.

That's the difference between the two franchises. One will take a mortgage out on their future, the other wants to pay bills with cash now.

Two weeks after the draft, I still contend that Kenny Irons, while gifted player who will be a star in the NFL, was a luxury pick. The Bengals defense was crying out for help and was neglected in this draft. Maybe the fourth, sixth and seventh round picks will pan out. But you rarely find impact players that low in the draft. Instead of Irons, the Bengals could have taken defensive tackle, Turk McBride out of Tennessee or defensive end Tim Crowder out of Texas, both excellent young players with tremendous upside. Irons, with Rudi Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson and other wide receivers, may only get on the field a handful of times during a game. Few teams use two man backfields anymore.

I hope I'm wrong. I'll admit it if I am. But I've seen nothing so far since the end of last season, that makes me believe this season the Bengals defense will be any better.