Monday, July 30, 2007

I've been putting off writing this latest entry, hoping that what happened last Thursday really didn't, hoping that it was just some bad joke.

It wasn't.

Along the road that is the journey of life, you meet certain people you never forget. Some people you remember because of who they are, or what they did or how they impacted your life. Someone once told me, you'll be lucky to find five people in your time on earth who'd be like that. I'm not sure if Skip Prosser was one of those five. But I know I'll never forget him.

Prosser, as I'm sure you're well aware of by now, died too suddenly and too soon last week. He was 56 when his heart gave out on him. His resume says he was a basketball coach. He was more than than.

Prosser had been at Wake Forest the last six years. But I knew him first, as an assistant coach at Xavier under Pete Gillen, later as the head coach of the Musketeers. He was a man who could quote Wooden in one sentence, Thoreau in another. And he always knew something about who he was talking with.

Prosser loved to needle me about Ohio University. He knew I bleed hunter green. It wasn't anything big, things like 'tell those guys in Athens to stop ducking Xavier' or 'you know your Bobcats have no shot against Miami'. It was his way of letting you know he knew what was important in your life. It wasn't just me. He was like that with everyone, if you listen to some of the testimony about him since his death.

The world we live in is filled with bad things and a lot of bad people. There aren't enough good people in our world. And we just lost one.

I know where Skip Prosser is tonight. I just wish he was in the world I live in.