Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Well, so much for my impassioned plea to keep TJ. We all know the details by now. But here's some day after reaction.

One of the best Bengals web sites is cincyjungle.com. Here's Jason Kirkandall's take on what the Bengals could have done differently in the the TJ saga.

Meantime, over at espn.com, they have the nuts and bolts of TJ's saga.

And according to the Chicago Tribune, they're celebrating in the Windy City, as the Vikings lost out on the TJ Sweepstakes.

Personally, I think the Bengals misplayed this. What they're left with, at the wide receiver spot, is guy who wants out (Ocho Cinco), a guy who shouldn't even be on the roster (Chris Henry), a guy who was drafted in the second round last year and couldn't get on the field (Jerome Simpson), a guy who fumbles the ball a lot (Glenn Holt) and a guy they got in the third round last year who has shown some promise but only played at receiver the final couple of games (Andre Caldwell).

Am I smelling Michael Crabtree with that #6 overall pick? Or if Cedric Benson departs, Beanie Wells? God forbid.

Look, let me say this again: nothing, absolutely nothing happens at any level of football UNLESS YOU PROTECT YOUR QUARTERBACK!

HELLO!

This is what I'm hearing a lot of so called Bengal experts say: Andrew Whitworth moves to left tackle, Anthony Collins moves to right tackle, Nate Livings moves to left guard. This isn't musical chairs. Oh, and by the way, you still need a center. Meantime, we've seen nothing that would lead us to believe that Collins and Whitworth at tackles is a viable option. Don't give me "Collins played well against the Steelers and James Harrison, et al...." The Steelers toyed with the Bengals that night. I was there. Pittsburgh didn't bring its 'A' game. 16 game schedule, completely different story.

I've got more on this whole deal in my latest Broo View Podcast, episode 192. My guest is cbssports.com's Pete Prisco. It's on the front page of my web site: www.kenbroo.com. If you're on the fly, you can download it here.