Friday, November 02, 2007

Random thoughts from a random guy on a ramdom Friday in the Queen City. I going with the Colts at home Sunday against the Patriots. It's inside, Tony Dungy won't let it get to a shootout and will limit the Patriots' possessions. That may hurt his offense some. But it will benefit his defense, which frankly is just a tad behind the New England 'D'.....Never has the NFL had a game this early in a season that has captivated the country like this one. It's for home field in the AFC playoffs. Put the Colts outside in January and you might as well give the title to the Patriots....Here's a question for the NFL: why is there any other game scheduled against this one? I'm convinced fans in Oakland, Houston, Cleveland and Seattle would rather watch the Patriots play the Colts than have to watch their teams....well, maybe not convinced but I have a strong suspicion....it must have something to do with 'JIC'...that'd be just in case Indianspolis is hit with a massive power failure along about 4pm Sunday.....

This is a sad story. I had one of our loyal viewers email me this article about the Bengals former first round draft pick, Peter Warrick:

----------------------------
HOUSTON (AP) -- The multicarat diamond studs adorning Peter Warrick's ears are
a reminder of the life he once led.

Two seasons removed from his last NFL game, the fourth pick in the 2000 draft
is far from fame and riches. Now he's at a place he never thought he'd be: trying
out for the fledgling All American Football League.

The two-time All-America selection at Florida State is 30 years old and still
looking for a path back to the NFL. Released after five lackluster seasons in
Cincinnati, he was cut last season by the Seahawks after one year there.
"I was in Atlanta working out and waiting on the NFL call," he said before his
workout. "I'm tired of sitting at home. I just got an opportunity and I'm trying
to make the best of it right now."

The receiver and returner was the most recognizable name among hundreds this
week at Rice Stadium for invitation-only evaluation sessions to find players
for the six-team league that plans to start its 10-week season in April.

Warrick seems to be a perfect fit for this league that hopes to build its fan
base by stocking teams with star college players who either didn't make it in
the NFL or whose careers there were cut short.

"A lot of players that were stars in college still have a lot of name recognition,"
said 1972 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers, who is helping promote the league.
"This league will give people who are still hungry for football between April
and July a chance to go out and see some of the names that they're familiar with."

Warrick was upbeat and reflective in a candid interview discussing what went
wrong in his NFL career and how difficult it has been to be away from the game
he loves for so long.

The man who was such a dynamic player at Florida State he was nicknamed "The
Great One" was back on a college field again this week simply hoping to make
an impression. AAFL officials said the top players from these sessions would
be invited back for further evaluation.

"It's kind of hard because all my life I'd been at the top," he said. "Now I'm
not playing football but I'm not at the bottom because I had good times and now
is one of those times to get back up."

Warrick was solid in his first four seasons in Cincinnati, but never quite lived
up to expectations for a top-five pick. His best season came in 2003 when he
had 79 catches for 819 yards and seven touchdowns.
He troubles in Cincinnati, he said stemmed from playing for a bad team without
veteran leadership.

"I never really had a mentor," he said. "Reggie Wayne had Marvin Harrison, Randy
Moss had Cris Carter, Torry Holt had Isaac Bruce. Those guys had people to look
up to. When I got to Cincinnati, it was just me. I had Darnay Scott, but first
year he got hurt so now I'm just going out there playing off athletic ability.
I'm not making any excuses because I know I had to learn, but it was hard."
Arthroscopic knee surgery, followed by a cracked shin bone and an infection kept
him out of all but four games in 2004. Cincinnati released him in the 2005 preseason
and he ended up in Seattle where he remained hobbled with injuries.
His only notable contribution with the Seahawks was returning punts in their
Super Bowl loss to the Steelers and they cut ties with him before the 2006 regular
season began.

Warrick said the injuries are behind him now, but that NFL teams don't want to
"take a chance on him" because of past problems. He's worked out consistently
since his release from the Seahawks and said he's in good shape.
After sitting out for so long, the call from the All American Football League
was just what he needed. Waiting day after day for a phone call from an NFL team
that never came got frustrating and he sometimes wondered if he should give up.

The past two years have taught him patience. He's hungry to play again and believes
this league could be a good change for him.
"I'm going to come over here and give it a try and I'm going to make the best
of it," he said. "You never know, I might come over here and enjoy this league
better than the NFL."

As a child, his goal was to play in the NFL. Though he wants another chance more
than anything, this son of a preacher said he is blessed to have made it. If
he doesn't get back, he can't complain because he knows he was lucky to have
played at all.

"I just had to sit back and look at everything that I've done in my life and
say that I accomplished my goal," he said. "I didn't do what people expected
me to do in the NFL. No, I didn't go out there and have Randy Moss numbers, but
I thank God I did make it."

------------------------
P-Dub, as some people liked to call him around here, never fully recovered from a broken leg and knee problems in the 2004 season. I saw Warrick at the RCA Dome in December, 2006, as his former Bengal teammates left the field after losing. Warrick was desperately trying to catch an eye, a glance from anyone. Very few stopped to talk with him....

By the way, the latest edition of "Bengals Report Podcast" is now posted and ready for your listening and/or downloading. You can find it on the front page of my web site: http://www.kenbroo.com/. Marc Hardin and I preview the Bengals vs Bills game this Sunday in Buffalo.

If Dusty Baker really doesn't like young ballplayers, as we've heard a lot since his hiring, would that not lend some credence to the rumors of moving Adam Dunn to first base and using phenom Joey Votto as trade bait? And if it is true that Baker likes veteran players, would it not then scotch the rumors of a Ken Griffey, Jr. trade this winter? Just askin'.....

I'm still sticking with my belief that Ohio State runs the table, which means the Buckeyes beat Wisconsin Saturday....

With games at South Florida and Syracuse and home games with UConn and West Virginia, how many more wins does UC have this season? My prediction: three. UC will beat UConn at Nippert and defeat either South Florida (which would be a mega upset) or West Virginia (somewhat milder upset) and win at Syracuse.....that'd be nine wins for Lord Kelly, Brian Of Clifton and would guarantee the Bearcats of playing in bowl game Christmas week....

I'm talking sports this Sunday from 9am-11:30am on Cincinnati's 700WLW. If you don't live in the greater Cincinnati area, you can catch me 'live' on http://www.700wlw.com/ or on XM channel 173.
And, after the Bengals vs Bills, I'll be hosting "Bengals Feedback" on both 700WLW and 1530 Homer "The Sports Animal".

Sunday night at 11:35pm or there abouts, I'll also be co-hosting "Sports Rock!" on Cincinnati's NBC affiliate WLWT 5. George Vogel and former Bengals Dave Lapham and Eric Thomas complete the panel.

Have a great weekend!