Friday, October 17, 2008

The latest edition of Bengals Report Podcast is posted. Mark Hardin and I preview the Bengals vs Steelers game this Sunday in Cincinnati. You can find the podcast on my web site: www.kenbroo.com. If you're in a hurry, it's here.

Random thoughts as we head into what looks to be a beautiful fall weekend in southwestern Ohio....I'm sick of campaign ads. You can't escape them, even when watching college and pro football. Here's an idea: ban all of them and make the candidates actually campaign. Have a minimum of ten debates. It worked for Lincoln and Douglas. Actually, it worked for Lincoln a lot better than Douglas.....I've got this hunch that Michigan State beats Ohio State Saturday. It wouldn't be an upset. The game is in East Lansing, both teams are 6-1, 3-0 in the Big 10....I wouldn't want to be Kansas Saturday. I've got another feeling that says Oklahoma will take out its wrath, from losing to Texas last weekend.....That 'ooops' you heard Thursday was from BYU....I think the Big East will be the best conference in college basketball this season. UC will do well to crack the top eight. If Xavier gets Jordan Crawford eligible, I don't see a team in the Atlantic 10 that beats them....If I'm Mike Brown, I'm shutting Carson Palmer down for the balance of this season. At 0-6, the Bengals are just playing out the string. Palmer is under contract for the next six seasons, through 2014. If he needs surgery, and it appears that has at least been discussed, why not have it now and be ready for a fresh start in '09? By the way, I'm holding to my contention that the Bengals will NOT go 0-16. Remember, the Chiefs are coming to town in December....So let me get this straight, you think enough of Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell to draft them in the second and third rounds respectively and you don't even DRESS them for games? Really? When you KNEW you needed help along your offensive line and defensive line? I don't want to hear about all of Chad Ocho Cinco's off season trade demands and TJ Houshmandzadeh's contract being up after this season. You have Chad under contract through 2010 (and he wasn't going to sit out) and you can always slap the franchise tag on Houshmandzadeh. This is another classic example of a team with no plan. It simply caroms from one crisis to another.

Who was happier on Thursday: the Red Sox for extending the ALCS for one more game, or Fox Sports, for extending the possibility of a Boston vs Philadelphia World Series? Tampa Bay vs Boston in the World Series might be a ratings disaster for Rupert's Network.

I'm talking sports Sunday on 700 WLW. Among my guest on Sunday Morning Sports Talk is NBC-Sports Illustrated's Peter King. I'm on from 9am-11:30am. You can catch me 'over the air', on line or on XM Channel 173.

Have a great weekend!