Thursday, June 14, 2007

As Dave Mason once rhapsodized....'Been away, haven't seen you in awhile, how ya been?'

I've been out east the past week and away from the blog. Hope you're well. Sports in a moment. First, my brush with greatness.

I don't know if you're a "Sopranos" fan or not. I am and truly believe it's one of the classic television programs of all time. In a writer's medium (television) the recently concluded HBO series 'raised the bar' to new heights. The fact that it was shot in and around the neighborhoods I grew up in was merely a side light for me.

The ending of the series last Sunday night was controversial, in that it provide no clean and definitive end to its eight year run. So what? was my reaction. If you followed this series, you knew its creator, David Chase, wouldn't go down that road. His disdain for episodic over the air television is well documented, with each hour neatly packaged with a beginning, middle and end.
That controversy aside, to my brush with "The Sopranos".

The final, controversial scene was shot at an ice cream parlor I've been to dozens of times, mostly as a kid and not in the last 20 years. It sits on Passaic Avenue in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Holsten's is a landmark in that town, a great place for a burger and fries and an ice cream cone. It's also about ten minutes from the home I grew up in. So, on a lark after lunch Tuesday, not 48-hours after the airing of the final "Sopranos", I took a quick drive to Holsten's. Not wanting to be just a gawker, but gawking anyway, I entered the store and bought some candy. While the owner took care of that, I looked around, found the booth where the Sopranos family sat for the filming of the final scene and checked for bullet holes! None found, by the way. It looked exactly how it did in the final episode, and exactly how I remembered it from all those years ago.

I bought the obligatory T-shirt, paid for the candy and left. Though I've spent my entire adult life in television, it was actually pretty cool to be exactly where the penultimate scene of a great television show was filmed.

I'm a geek, I admit it. But if you were into it like I was for the past eight years, you'd do that same thing.

Homer Bailey made his second start for the Cincinnati Reds today. Not great, but not bad either. 101 pitches, only 67 for strikes. He continues to get too cute with marginal hitters and winds up getting in trouble. But I believe he's here to stay.

The more troubling trend is the ineptitude of the Reds bullpen, particularly the centerpiece of that now controversial trade the Reds made last summer. Gary Majewski is either still hurt, or not good. But it's clear now, Reds GM, Wayne Krivsky (whom I still like) should not have made this trade. He sent one quarter of his every day line-up to the Nationals for a pitcher who showed up with a sore arm (Majewski) another pitcher who's developed a sore arm (Bill Bray), a washed up short stop (Royce Clayton) and an infielder that the Reds gave up on who's now tearing it up with Tampa Bay (Brendan Harris).

If you're Bob Castellini and you've seen this mess, do you now allow Krivsky to deal Adam Dunn without first holding Krivsky's feet to the fire over that horrid deal he made last summer? I don't. Dunn is scheduled to make $13 million next season and can opt of that and become a free agent if he's traded before 2008. That means which ever team deals for Dunn is getting basically a 'rental', a player for just the balance of this season. At best the Reds will get prospects in return. That's a major, major step for this organization. Castellini will not only have to sign off on it, he should also make sure he gets a second, unbiased opinion from someone outside the Reds organization that what happened last summer, when Krivsky dealt Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez for a bucket of spare parts, doesn't happen again.