Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The world lost a true gentleman today and the college football world lost a great coach. Indiana University football coach, Terry Hoeppner lost his battle to brain cancer early this morning. He died just after sunrise, on another glorious day on the Bloomington, Indiana, campus. It was going to be a day of celebration at IU. Groundbreaking was scheduled for a new $55 million dollar athletic complex that included, among other things, an end zone facility for the IU football stadium. In a way, a benchmark for the rebuilding that Hoeppner was doing with the Hoosiers' football program.

Terry Hoeppner was the head coach at Indiana. But to me, he'll always be the head football coach at Miami, Ohio. It's there where I first met him, first as a long time RedHawk assistant and for six years, the head football coach. He knew I was an Ohio Bobcat. But he also knew I respected the job he'd done with the 'Hawks. Not only did they consistently beat my beloved 'Cats, his RedHawks did it with class and style. I always asked Terry to take it easy on my team. He always laughed and said 'no way'. I loved that about him, just loved it.

It says a lot about the man when you look at how he landed Ben Roethlisberger. Hoeppner began recruiting Roethlisberger, when Ben was a receiver at Findlay High School. Roethlisberger didn't quarterback his high school team until he was a senior. And while Ohio State and other bigger schools caught onto him when he blossomed as a senior, Big Ben didn't forget the classy coach who'd been wooing him with the beauty of Oxford. Roethlisberger signed with Miami. And, you know the rest of that story.

The world doesn't have enough Terry Hoepnners. Certainly, the coaching fraternity doesn't have enough. If my son were fortunate enough, or good enough, to have played collegiate football, there are a finite number of coaches I would have wanted him to play for. Even with "green and white" running through my veins, Terry would have been one of those coaches.

May he rest in peace. And may all he touched in his too short life remember how good a person he was.